Do I have an Alcohol and/or Drug dependency problem?
(Young people’s questionnaire follows)
- Have I ever been arrested or hospitalized after drinking alcohol and/or using drugs?
- Have I ever used more than I intended? Did I do it more than once…twice…three times?
- Have I ever made a resolution to control my use of alcohol and/or drugs? How did that work? Was I able to consistently control it?
- Have I ever quit on a voluntary basis?
- For how long did I stop? Did I stay stopped? What was I thinking or feeling just before I began using again?
- Have I ever been asked to quit or cut down? By spouse? By family member? By employer? By clients? By court? By attorney? By doctor? By therapist/counselor?
- Have I ever experienced lapses in memory (blackouts) while drinking alcohol or using drugs
- Have I ever had an accident (car, falls, etc) after drinking or using drugs?
- Have I ever lost a job or a relationship related to use of alcohol or drugs?
- Have I ever been embarrassed by my behavior when drinking or using drugs?
- Do I ever hide my drinking or drug use from anyone…significant other…doctor…employer…therapist?
- Do I ever drink alcohol in the morning?
- After drinking heavily the day before, have I ever began drinking the next day to feel better?
- Do I ever use alcohol or drugs to wake up, go to sleep, increase or decrease my energy?
- Do I ever feel a need for alcohol or drugs to feel OK, especially in social situations?
- Have I ever hurt or threatened anyone when drinking alcohol or using drugs
- Do I ever have a strong physical or emotional craving for alcohol or drugs?
- Do I ever drink alcohol or use drugs alone?
- Does using alcohol or drugs ever interfere with the quality of any aspect of my life?
- Does my drinking or drug use ever make me unhappy or remorseful?
How Young People Can Tell if Drinking or Using Drugs is a Problem
- Do you lose time from school because of your using or drinking or drug use?
- Do you drink or use drugs to lose shyness and build up self-confidence?
- Is using or drinking or drug use affecting your reputation?
- Do you drink or use drugs to escape from study or home worries?
- Does it bother you if somebody says maybe you drink or use drugs too much?
- Do you have to use drugs or drink to go out on a date?
- Do you ever get into money trouble over buying alcoholic beverages or drugs?
- Have you lost friends since you started using drugs or drinking?
- Do you hang out now with a crowd where “stuff” is easy to get?
- Do your friends drink or use drugs less than you do?
- Do you drink or use drugs until the bottle/container is empty?
- Have you ever had a loss of memory from using drugs or drinking?
- Has drunk driving or being high ever put you into a hospital or jail?
- Do you get annoyed with classes or lectures on drinking or using drugs?
- Do you think you have a problem with alcohol or drugs?
If you answered yes to any of these questions we suggest you have a discussion with an alcohol/drug specialist to determine the extent of the problem.
Thelma McMillen Center
Torrance Memorial Medical Center
310 784 4929