Source of Character Defects/Shortcomings
These are survival mechanisms of each individual human being to deflect anxiety or guilt; avoid real source of problem.
Biology: Vegetative/animal brain stem activity (instincts)
– Fight … … anger
– Flight … … fear
– Freeze… … camouflage/dishonesty
Zoology: Animal limbic system: activity (emotions) = to have feelings
Psychology: Human brain system cortex (mind) = to think
Sociology: Human brain system neocortex (will) = to make free decisions and take voluntary actions, especially for connectivity
There are nine Ego Defense mechanisms:
- Suppression: conscious pushing away
- Repression: unconscious pushing away
- Rationalization: reasonable explanation/excuse that is not true
- Projection: attributing unwanted characteristics to others
- Reaction Formation: acting opposite to feelings; contrary
- Sublimation: converting unacceptable to acceptable
- Displacement: kicking the dog
- Denial: discounting reality
- Compensation: redefining inferior to superior
Herb K. was given the gift of freedom from alcohol February 21, 1984. As a result of the application of the Twelve Steps as contained precisely in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, he experienced a profound spiritual awakening in 1988. Since then he has been very involved in carrying the message of recovery through presentations, facilitating workshops, and leading retreats.
He has authored three books to help people access the instructions and confirm the actual process contained in the Big Book for experiencing a spiritual awakening: Practicing the Here and Now: Being Intentional with Step 11 (2017), Twelve-Step Guide to Using the Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book (2004) and Twelve Steps to Spiritual Awakening: Enlightenment for Everyone (2010). His books are available on Amazon and other locations.